Summer Reading 2017
Calling all Newport News Summer Readers!
Summer is here and it's a time to read for fun, learn something new and see friends. Your Library has lots of free programs for everyone this summer! Visit our Calendar of Events for details and registration information. Download our summer reading brochure for a full listing of free programs and events.
Sign up for our summer reading program: Reading by Design!
Open to ages newborn to high school seniors. Register in-person at any Newport News library or online, starting June 19. Collect prizes for reading, get tickets for our prize drawing for attending programs, receive coupons for free stuff as you complete each level. All participants will be invited to the finale celebrations at the libraries. This year, those who complete the program can attend the GRAND FINALE held at Whole Foods Market in Newport News.
We need teen volunteers!
Teens, ages 12-17, can apply to volunteer their time at the Libraries this summer. Call any Newport News library or 757-926-1350 for information on how to apply.
NNPLS School Summer Reading Lists
- High School List
- High School Summer Reading Assignment
- Advanced Placement 11 Reading List
- Advanced Placement 12 Reading List
- Woodside HS Reading List
- Woodside HS Advanced Placement (AP) 11 Reading List
- Woodside HS Advanced Placement (AP) 12 Reading List
What is the "Summer Slide"?
"'It's called the 'summer slide', and it describes what happens when young minds sit idle for three months. Children who do not read over the summer will lose up to three months of reading achievement." - RIF
Help children maintain and improve their academic gains through the summer by keeping them learning and engaged while having fun!
· Set time aside for daily reading (15-20 minutes is plenty!) or listen to audiobooks while traveling in car or plane
· Choose books your child wants to read
· Set a reading example! Join the Adult Summer Reading Program. Ask for information at any Newport News Library or call 757-926-1350.
· Take time to visit the Library, participate in the Summer Reading Program and take advantage of free, fun and educational programs and events.